Saturday, March 5, 2011

Woman Reading

Woman Reading
10" x 9"     oil on linen    2011
Private Collection, Massachusetts
While working on this painting I was reminded of the Fragonard at the National Gallery in Washington, D.C: A Young Girl Reading. 
                                        
Growing up in D.C., the Fragonard was one of the paintings that the docent always shepherded us toward on school field trips to the Gallery... and always remarked on how the woman's little finger was so elegantly curled. Anyway ... is this my homage to Fragonard? I guess it would seem so. In my painting, the young woman is similarly posed, sort of, and has a similarly colored blouse, with some white showing. 

My biggest struggle involved putting in the text on the phone. The initial drawings had horizontal rows of dots and lines, and I thought to do something similar with the paint, but every attempt came out badly. Then I settled on the single curled line (did Fragonard’s elegant gesture migrate there?), and it looked fine to me. And maybe a bit amusing. 

A Young Girl Reading 
 32" x 25 1/2"      ca. 1776     
Jean-Honore Fragonard

No comments:

Post a Comment

quotes

"There is more power in telling little than in telling all."
- Mark Rothko

“The mind loves the unknown. It loves images whose meanings are unknown, since the meaning of the mind itself is unknown.”
- Magritte

"Now, the idea is to get everything right -- it's not just color or form or space or line -- it's everything all at once."
- Richard Diebenkorn