Saturday, May 30, 2015

Imp

New painting:

Imp
7" x 4 1/2"     oil on linen     2015
A composition of red and orange warm tones, hopefully enlivened - on both the abstract and the narrative levels -  by the cool notes of the imp. 

The studies and the final drawing for this painting were all made with a single figure, and that was totally my intention when I transferred the image to the canvas. Then, for reasons unexplained, I took a pencil and added the imp.

Imp, final drawing
7" x 4 1/2"   pencil on graph paper with pastel tone on reverse   2015

2 comments:

  1. Andrew, I love this little gem. The color choices are my favorites, of course. And I love how her eye just about lines up with the horizon. Imps, gremlins, devils are my jam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that little imp you painted. I gather he was a surprise to you too. He's perfect. - Sally

    ReplyDelete

quotes

"There is more power in telling little than in telling all."
- Mark Rothko

“The mind loves the unknown. It loves images whose meanings are unknown, since the meaning of the mind itself is unknown.”
- Magritte

"Now, the idea is to get everything right -- it's not just color or form or space or line -- it's everything all at once."
- Richard Diebenkorn