Monday, December 1, 2014

Miami Project

The big 'movie' painting is close to completion and hopefully it will be finished by this time next week. All the figures are done and during the last three weeks I've been painting the stripes on the walls. Once the walls are done, I'll go into the final phase: adjusting some colors, glazing, pulling everything together.

lower left quadrant, stripes behind figures in progress
area ca. 26" x 36"

I've also decided that Only You is not a good title for this painting. During a recent conversation with a visitor to the studio, I realized that the title readily conjured up the famous song by the Platters. A lovely song, but that was not my intention. Usually I like my titles to be minimal, basically just tags for identification, and in this case, I didn't want viewers thinking that the narrative had some connection to the song. 

Only You is now titled Movie Theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment

quotes

"There is more power in telling little than in telling all."
- Mark Rothko

“The mind loves the unknown. It loves images whose meanings are unknown, since the meaning of the mind itself is unknown.”
- Magritte

"Now, the idea is to get everything right -- it's not just color or form or space or line -- it's everything all at once."
- Richard Diebenkorn