Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Twins

Finished:

Twins
2018-2019, oil on linen, 30" x 38"

My March 9th post was about how Bahareh and Farzaneh Safarani - artists and twin sisters - came to my studio and asked if I would do a portrait of them set within the world of my painting. As the work progressed, I posted about adding the large background figure - the muse - and then about the color choices being made.

Now completed, I find that the harmony of closely related tones of warm neutral colors contrasting with the large areas of dark grays and blacks makes for a gentle luminescence, despite being rather subdued. All is further energized by the notes of bright color - the two drawings, the brush, the pencil, and the lid on the jar of water or turpentine - objects that could be considered the iconography of artists.

The final result is not a strictly accurate portrait - people who know the sisters may say they look a bit different from my representation - but the painting is an accurate portrayal of my inner feelings about them as a psychological expression, or perhaps better said, as an impression.


In the sisters' studio
30 October 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

quotes

"There is more power in telling little than in telling all."
- Mark Rothko

“The mind loves the unknown. It loves images whose meanings are unknown, since the meaning of the mind itself is unknown.”
- Magritte

"Now, the idea is to get everything right -- it's not just color or form or space or line -- it's everything all at once."
- Richard Diebenkorn