Thursday, July 12, 2018

Sea Isle City

This painting, made in my senior year at R.I.S.D., was one of eight shown in my first gallery exhibition a few months later in Boston:

Sea Isle City
7" x 9", oil on wood panel, 1969
Private collection, Massachusetts

The narrative is more autobiographical than usual, based on a childhood memory - a visit to Sea Isle City, New Jersey in the early 1950s, me sitting on a stoop wearing a straw cowboy hat, attended by a young baby-sitter whose bathing suit was much more modest in real life. A while back I looked at street views of the town on Google Maps and these cottages on stilts are long gone, but I remember them clearly. There's a photo in the family album too:


July 1952
Sea Isle City, New Jersey

No comments:

Post a Comment

quotes

"There is more power in telling little than in telling all."
- Mark Rothko

“The mind loves the unknown. It loves images whose meanings are unknown, since the meaning of the mind itself is unknown.”
- Magritte

"Now, the idea is to get everything right -- it's not just color or form or space or line -- it's everything all at once."
- Richard Diebenkorn